Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 2ND Gen : 1994 - 2002 > Interior & Exterior
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 08-21-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Default Ooohhhh ahhhhhh

The creaking in my shocks got the best of me, so rather than wait til I had the $$$ for Bilsteins, I got some Monores from Advance. Used the P20 discount code and got 20% off of the set...so new shocks for $38 isn't bad at all in my opinion.

Gonna put them on later today.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #2

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Adam, I use gasmatic shocks and they have served me well for the last couple years.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Adam, I use gasmatic shocks and they have served me well for the last couple years.
Thats great to know Greg!!! Like I was telling Ken earlier, I would have like to have been able to get the Bilsteins, but since I don't tow anything worth beefing up my suspension for (well I have never towed anything with the truck as of yet) having Bilsteins would just be me having them to say I had them...lol...

But seriously, every time I hit a crack on the road, I can hear these Mopar shocks yes they are the stock shocks from 1996...they creak like a sumbitch and it's rather embarrassing.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #4

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

My OEM shocks were bad in about 4-5 years. They didn't make any noises, but I had handling problems at speed. The truck had a funny squat going over bumps. Turned out my driver side rear shock was totally gone and that was causing the weird handling. You will like new shocks.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Old 08-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
You are going to love the new ride you get from the shocks. It is amazing how much of a difference new vs. old is. 15 years out of a pair of shocks ain't bad.

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
sweet!
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Well, got the new shocks on, but I am sad to say the creak is still there. I know it's not a bushing, cause the whole front end has been greased, every bushing sprayed with penetrating oil to hopefully track it down.

My next guess is ball joints. It is even creaking when I turn the dan steering wheel...any suggestions?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Guys, I have never installed ball joints...is that something I can do with ease in my driveway? Also, the creak is in my drivers side, can I replace only that side or do I have to do both?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Onk
Viper Member

Garage
I know my lower ball joints are rivet'd in which are going to need to be torched off...
Onk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #10

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

usually BJ's are all changed out. Check them out and see if you can replace just the BJ's or do you have to change to whole control arm. If it is revited you can use a hand grinder to knock the heads off. Good luck..