Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

HammerZ71
Newb

Default Truck is DOWN!!!
Well I gave the truck a once over last week before heading up to the farm for some deer hunting and spec fishin'. Changed the oil, cleaned the TB, and changed out the EGR even though I've not gotten a CEL yet, but at just shy of 50k miles, I figured it was due.

I've had a slight shimmy in the front, not bad, but noticeable anywhere above about 60 mph. So I decided to look into that and found a bad tie rod end on the drivers' side. I mean like over an inch of play in the tire bad!
Other side was tight as could be.

First problem I've ever had with the truck in six years!

Bad thing about this is, the tie rod is part of the Rancho lift kit, so the ends are larger than stock, so no going to Mopar dealer for it. I have a call into Rancho about getting a pair (at $53 retail I might as well get a spare), and still have not heard back from them!

So anyway, the Jeep made the journey just to be safe. That's WAY too much play in a tie rod end for me.

Had to stop by Tractor Supply for a hitch haul to tote deer with.

On the plus side, everything else looked great on the truck. Rack had no signs of a leak and pinion seal was dry as a bone. Header bolts all tight and that cheap paper gasket has no signs of failing yet after almost 4 years, LOL. Just the stupid tie rod end!!!

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-15-2010 at 05:10 PM.
HammerZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Man, those aren't fun when they break...had one on a 76 C1500 break on me when turning into the driveway.

Hope you get her back on the road quick though....

BTW: Where is your spec fishin hole at?
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
back up in georgia....good luck with that hammer....

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
Onk
Viper Member

Garage
Good Luck Hammer!
Onk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 PM   #5

HammerZ71
Newb

I got a couple places I speck fish. Our pond is fairly small, about 4.5 acres but has decent ones in it. I just try not to over-fish it.

My good buddy's grandparents have a huge farm with about a 36 acre pond that has some biguns'. I keep a small Bass/Hunter 10' ABS boat there. I have pics on my desktop I'll have to post up when I get back to Florida next week.
I what was just shy of the lake record out of Lake Blackshear up here I caught way back in '96, was 3 lbs, 5 oz. I think the lake record was two ounces bigger at the time.

Got a doe yesterday morning, not real big, but she'll eat. Saw a nice buck, I think I counted 8 points, but couldn't grunt him in out of the deep brush. Will be back out Thursday. Rain tomorrow, sposed to be REAL heavy, but speck fishin' Wed.

As far as the tie-rod end goes, I ain't heard nuthing from Rancho yet, left message after hours friday, felt for sure someone would get back to me today. Hopefully tomorrow.
Jeep is running like a champ though...
Old 11-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
We used to speck fish out of Little Lake Harris up near Leesburg alot. We would take my uncles pontoon boat out there and anchor under the bridge...hang lanterns over each side of the boat and drop line in the light.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

HammerZ71
Newb

UPDATE: Talked to Rancho on the phone upon return to Florida yesterday. They are sending me out a tie rod end to replace the bad one PLUS a new one for the other side - FREE OF CHARGE! I should have them in 3-5 days...
Old 11-25-2010, 06:09 AM   #8

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
cant beat free. that quality CS there

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #9

HammerZ71
Newb

Originally Posted by OklaHemi View Post
cant beat free. that quality CS there
Yeah, considering I bought and installed the lift in '05, I'd say sending out a free replacement PLUS one for the other side where there is still a good tie rod end is over and above expectations, especially these days.

I'm going to go ahead and replace both with new, have an alignment done and keep the good tie rod end off the passenger side as a spare...

Update on trip to the farm in Georgia. Ended up returning hitch haul, unopened, hunted with a buddy who has a Z71. Only shot the one doe, only got out twice. No pic (sorry) should have snapped one with my phone but didn't think of it till we were leaving processors. Speck fished once, caught about 40, kept about 20 of the bigger ones.
Temps ranged from lows in the upper 30s to highs in the mid 80s, caught a cold, which is now walking pnuemonia (which is why I only got out to hunt twice). Fun, Fun, Fun...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 11-25-2010 at 11:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #10

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
OUCH... Good lucky thing you did a PM on that!!!! Best of luck gettin' 'er back in shape!

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote