Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > Diesel Forum > 5.9 Cummins
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #11

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Rammer...Watch the tranny and hope you have your guages. When I bought my Smarty was warned by several to not abuse the stock tranny. 100hp over stock is about max to push them.

I have the Smarty Jr. Are there other options/changes you can make other than just hp changes?

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #12

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
First of all Welcome to SEM, Glad to see another Cummins member

The Quadzilla Adrenaline with pulse has its owns gauges and built warnings etc. The trans has been rebuilt and line pressure turned up only. I have been running a programmer for about 3 years now including the the Quadzilla KNOCK ON WOOD! No issues, just got to learn to not hot rod it everywhere you go lol I am currently saving up for a trans build up and have a good hook up on some parts at my work.

With my Quadzilla I can adjust a lot of settings. Not just hp settings. I can change them o have a better throttle response, more low end power, more high end power, more smoke, less smoke etc etc etc.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #13

Smitty
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by 03 rammer View Post
First of all Welcome to SEM, Glad to see another Cummins member

The Quadzilla Adrenaline with pulse has its owns gauges and built warnings etc. The trans has been rebuilt and line pressure turned up only. I have been running a programmer for about 3 years now including the the Quadzilla KNOCK ON WOOD! No issues, just got to learn to not hot rod it everywhere you go lol I am currently saving up for a trans build up and have a good hook up on some parts at my work.

With my Quadzilla I can adjust a lot of settings. Not just hp settings. I can change them o have a better throttle response, more low end power, more high end power, more smoke, less smoke etc etc etc.
Nice...Thanks for the welcome. That is the downside to the Smarty; it is a programmer. It does have the POD (Power on Demand), where I can change the percentage of the tune being applied. But it also changes shift points etc, which I don't like. The smarty uses the OBD port, which is where the Insight plugs into. Can't use both at the same time. I still want to get something that I can use on the fly and not have to re-program every time. Takes about 7 mins to re-program.

Sounds like you can adjust timing and torque mgmt like the Smarty does?

Looking to get my Tranny upgraded around March next year, then will be moving up to a better programmer/tuner.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #14

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
I havent really gotten into all the tuning but with the pulse you can adjus tunes to what you want like i said earlier and save them on the pulse. You can save a couple different tunes and switch back and forth between them. It also has the on the fly adjustments from stock to level 10. I have messed around with some of the tunes and adjustments people have tried and there are a few that I would never run on the street lol I just stuck with the stock tunes that came with the programmer and keep it on level 5 for normal driving around town and level 10 when I want to mess around or get somewhere fast lol

I had the superchips before and know what you mean about waiting for it to reprogram...UGH it took the SC about 7 minutes to reprogram. I was real annoying around time when I needed to tow stuff and not tow stuff.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
I'm not sure which programmer I am going to choose when I buy. I know the Smarty line doesn't leave a footprint and I need to check with my extended warranty company if that even matters. But the Smarty line doesn't seem to be as nice looking as the others with monitors. On the other hand, I know a lot of diesel owners love the Smarty's.

Aaron, do you know if the Quadzilla with Adrenaline leaves a footprint or not?

And Smitty, when you unplug your insight to plug in and program with the smarty, do you simply plug the insight back in and it's up and running, or does some sort of reset have to happen? And, with the insight plugging into the ODBII port, does it still measure EGT's and trans temp, or did you have to install temp probes?

Last edited by 4XLGator; 07-19-2011 at 05:57 PM.
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #16

Smitty
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 4XLGATOR View Post
I'm not sure which programmer I am going to choose when I buy. I know the Smarty line doesn't leave a footprint and I need to check with my extended warranty company if that even matters. But the Smarty line doesn't seem to be as nice looking as the others with monitors. On the other hand, I know a lot of diesel owners love the Smarty's.

And Smitty, when you unplug your insight to plug in and program with the smarty, do you simply plug the insight back in and it's up and running, or does some sort of reset have to happen? And, with the insight plugging into the ODBII port, does it still measure EGT's and trans temp, or did you have to install temp probes?
More or less on plugging the Insight back in. When you plug in it will ask you what type motor it is, gas, diesel, other. Then will ask you if you want to load default setup. Chose "no" and the setup you use will come up and you are set to go.

For the EGT, have the temp probe installed in the exhaust manifold. Everything else, including tran temp works thru the ODB port.

There are suppose to be digital monitors or used to be anyway that do not use the ODB port. The quadzilla Scout was one. Not sure if still is or not.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-20-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #17

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage

Lee, it does not leave a footprint. Because its doesnt plug into your obd2 or computer. Aslong as you take it out before you goto the dealer you should be find aslong as they dont measure spray patterns if they have to tear down the engine.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #18

Smitty
V6 Member

The DOF group is very pro Smarty...for several reasons: (This is how it was explained to me)
1. They only make for Cummins. So company is suppose to really know what they are doing.
2. A lot of the tuners only use one aspect of the engine/Ecm to gain power, while Smarty uses multiple. For Example, Edge is mostly fuel. A lot of complaints of EGT to high when using Edge. MP-8 (think that is what it is called) just uses fuel pressure to gain performance. While Smarty uses timing, fuel, boost, fuel pressure, etc to get the gains.
3. Can do other different options, such as timing, torque mgmt, etc with Smarty. Fine tune for your driving habits.
4. Easily stackable with other tuners. such as Smarty and TST.

Downside is that the Smarty are not on-the-fly changeable. Unless you use the POD.

They DO NOT like anything from Banks or Bully Dog or Diablo. But, there are people who use them with good results. There are some good things coming out about Quadzilla. Especially the wireless setup. H&S and EFI are suppose to have some good tuners.

Rich (Doghouse) posted this on DOF.

"Grade School - All your plug and play modules (Superchips, Hypertech, etc)
Middle School - Tuners with some adjustable options (Edge, Quad, Bully Dog, Smarty Jr)
High School - Tuners that allow tayloring to most common mods (Smarty S-06 / S-67, H&S)
College - Tuners that allow modification of timing, duration, pressure and other parameters over a broad range (Smarty SSR)
PHD - Tuning that allows pinpoint modification of all parameters and limitations (EFI Live)"

I mostly drive for towing/MPG anyway. So, for the most part I just leave the towing program (75hp) installed. Keep the torque mgmt on stock and max the timing. Get around 13-15mpg when towing my 5er.

Lee, what year is your truck? If the right years, can hook up the Jr for you to try.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-20-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #19
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
Smitty, I greatly appreciate you typing all that info and sharing it. I got your PM last night but couldn't call at the time.

My truck is an '06. And I appreciate your offer, maybe if you make it out to a show in the near future we can try it out. Or, if you're not into shows we can set something up. Maybe the simplicity of the smarty is what I need until heavy mods begin, which could be awhile. In addition, I actually like analog gauges better than monitors, which would be another plus for the smarty.

Again, thanks much.

Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #20

Smitty
V6 Member

Smitty, I greatly appreciate you typing all that info and sharing it. I got your PM last night but couldn't call at the time.

My truck is an '06. And I appreciate your offer, maybe if you make it out to a show in the near future we can try it out. Or, if you're not into shows we can set something up. Maybe the simplicity of the smarty is what I need until heavy mods begin, which could be awhile. In addition, I actually like analog gauges better than monitors, which would be another plus for the smarty.

Again, thanks much.

Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk
No problem...Believe my Smarty will work on yours. Show or meet up...Whatever works for you. Give me a call if you want to discuss further.