Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #11

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Name: Colton
Garage
So you bought yours from a previous owner? What if it's locked to a certain vin number though?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #12

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
So you bought yours from a previous owner? What if it's locked to a certain vin number though?
These dont flash the computer they work with it. U just plug in and set up. A superchip for instance flashes it and must be turned back to stock brfore u sell it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #13

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Garage
So getting a used edge would be a good way to go?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #14

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by 03 rammer View Post
These dont flash the computer they work with it. U just plug in and set up. A superchip for instance flashes it and must be turned back to stock brfore u sell it.
Same with Smarty. Have to set back to stock.

Ramthis, are you looking for something to use on-the-fly, or just program and go?

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #15

Smitty
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
So getting a used edge would be a good way to go?
You would need to do some research to see what you are getting for that specific model. I would assume that a used Edge from 2010 may have better goodies than a 2008 model. You may be able to go to the Edge web site and do some research there.

Would also need to do some research as to what is involved in installing the Edge. I do believe you will need to get a EGT probe that will need to be installed into the exhaust manifold. Normally the probe is extra and may not come with the Edge set. Will need to make sure you get all the cables etc. Does the Edge have the latest software, can you upgrade form Edge if need be?

I have the Edge Insight (just the monitor; for gauges) and I had to order the probe separate. you have to drill and tap the probe into the manifold.

Not a discouragement from buying used. Just make sure you know what you are getting!

Old 07-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Same with Smarty. Have to set back to stock.

Ramthis, are you looking for something to use on-the-fly, or just program and go?
Want on the go

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM   #17

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
You would need to do some research to see what you are getting for that specific model. I would assume that a used Edge from 2010 may have better goodies than a 2008 model. You may be able to go to the Edge web site and do some research there.

Would also need to do some research as to what is involved in installing the Edge. I do believe you will need to get a EGT probe that will need to be installed into the exhaust manifold. Normally the probe is extra and may not come with the Edge set. Will need to make sure you get all the cables etc. Does the Edge have the latest software, can you upgrade form Edge if need be?

I have the Edge Insight (just the monitor; for gauges) and I had to order the probe separate. you have to drill and tap the probe into the manifold.

Not a discouragement from buying used. Just make sure you know what you are getting!
I think it reads that through the ecu somehow. I know you have to do that with the Banks programmer but I don't think you have to with the Edge.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #18

Smitty
V6 Member

Had to do it with my Edge! Why I was saying you need to make sure of what you are getting and what is needed.

If your Dad still has stock tranny. Needs to be careful!

Old 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #19

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Garage
Oh ok sorry didn't see that part haha did you get a new tranny or something?

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
Colton, Smitty is not saying you have to get a new transmission, although having it "beefed up" is an excellent idea. I believe most guys have billet shafts and torque converters installed. You/your dad just have to be careful. If you buy a programmer and set it on the high setting and dog the truck, you have a MUCH better chance to tear up the transmission. This is one of the reasons Banks programmer don't have huge hp gains (they are being "safe"), which in turn is one of the reasons why diesel drivers don't like Banks programmers.

I have spent a lot of time on Doghouse Diesel's website, reading posts from Rich (the owner) and even having forum conversations with him back in my DF days. I truly believe Rich would not intentionally steer anyone in the wrong direction. Judging by Smitty's comments above, I seems to feel the same way. To tell you what I mean by truly, when I am ready to start performance mods I am seriously considering setting up what I want with Rich, taking vacation time off from work and driving to Alabama for him/his shop to do the work.

In regard to which programmer to get, I'm still not even sure which one I will buy and I have been reading about them and asking questions for well over a year now. Like anything, I believe they all have their pluses and minuses where one is strong in this aspect and another is strong in that aspect. I do know some are a lot easier to set up and use than others, like Smitty commented.

Also, you may want to check out Thoroughbred Diesel's YouTube videos of Edge Installs. Most are usually 8 to 10 minutes long and they briefly run through how to install, set up and also show dyno runs after installs. I'm not saying to use, or recommending Thoroughbred, simply saying to check out their videos.

Good luck bud, and let us know what you end up with, and your likes and dislikes about it.

Last edited by 4XLGator; 07-24-2011 at 03:31 PM.
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote