Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > Diesel Forum > 5.9 Cummins
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #21

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
I would offer to do the same, but its a pain to take everything apart lol Its not a simple one plug and your done lol Mine had to connect to the battery, map sensor, rail pressure sensor, fuel pressure sensor, egt sensor and the data connector. Then with the pulse had to plug it into the adrenaline, tap into the big blue wire under the dash for the turbo timer and I think one other connection I cant seem to remember.

Also Lee, when it comes time to buy one make sure to check forum classifieds and ebay. I bought my SC 3 years ago on ebay for only 110 plus shipping and bought my Quadzilla Adrenaline with pluse for around 300. To me it makes sense to buy these used from from a member or good seller because it pays you back faster as in MPG gains. That is if you care for MPGs lol

Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #22

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by 03 rammer View Post
I would offer to do the same, but its a pain to take everything apart lol Its not a simple one plug and your done lol Mine had to connect to the battery, map sensor, rail pressure sensor, fuel pressure sensor, egt sensor and the data connector. Then with the pulse had to plug it into the adrenaline, tap into the big blue wire under the dash for the turbo timer and I think one other connection I cant seem to remember.

Also Lee, when it comes time to buy one make sure to check forum classifieds and ebay. I bought my SC 3 years ago on ebay for only 110 plus shipping and bought my Quadzilla Adrenaline with pluse for around 300. To me it makes sense to buy these used from from a member or good seller because it pays you back faster as in MPG gains. That is if you care for MPGs lol
Yeah, to bad it would be a pain. I would like to give yours a try. Guess something else sort of good about the smarty. Plug into the ODB, download and go.

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #23

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Does smarty allow on the fly changes and adjustments? I heard something that they can but you have to have the bulky thing plugged in all the time and I've seen guys get special mounts for them etc. Another thing I've heard about is EFI Live, Altough way out of my understaning you can adjust every aspect of you truck but you have to know what your doing.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 AM   #24

Smitty
V6 Member

Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by 03 rammer View Post
Does smarty allow on the fly changes and adjustments? I heard something that they can but you have to have the bulky thing plugged in all the time and I've seen guys get special mounts for them etc. Another thing I've heard about is EFI Live, Altough way out of my understaning you can adjust every aspect of you truck but you have to know what your doing.
Yes, you can do what they call POD (Power on Demand). Once you have a program loaded you can use POD to lower/raise the percentage of gains from that program. You can load the 100hp program, back it off to 60% for daily driving/mpg, but then raise it back up to 100% on the fly.

It is a PIA for me to use it because I can't keep the Smarty plugged into the ODB port. That is where my Edge Insight plugs into. So, don't really use POD to often. I have tried to use a 2-1 ODB cable, but did not work very well. Received errors from Smarty.

Yes, EFI live can adjust about ALL aspects of the engine. There is an ongoing thread at DOF about it. http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/...?topic=16811.0

Old 07-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #25

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Yes, EFI live can adjust about ALL aspects of the engine. There is an ongoing thread at DOF about it. http://www.dodgeownerforums.com/smf/...?topic=16811.0

Similar thing on Cumminsfourm. lol I only read like the first few pages out of like a million lol

Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #26
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
No problem...Believe my Smarty will work on yours. Show or meet up...Whatever works for you. Give me a call if you want to discuss further.
I appreciate it...we'll set something up in the future.

And Aaron, I fully understand how big of a PITA it would be to take yours out. Thanks though.
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #27

Smitty
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 4XLGATOR View Post
I appreciate it...we'll set something up in the future.

And Aaron, I fully understand how big of a PITA it would be to take yours out. Thanks though.
Hey Rammer...

Doing some research myself on a new programmer. In your search, what did you find out; and why did you decide on the Quadzilla.

If easier to discuss on phone let me know...can pm you my phone #.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #28

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Well The adrenaline with pulse was one of my many options.

For me the list contained: Smarty JR or Senior, Edge Jw/A,, or Quad adrenaline w/pulse

Edge programmers were way over priced, Smarty didnt really have the on the fly unless if i had the big bulky thing mounted up. And the Quad was the most logical programmer.

You can find them cheap used that is. Not to many people remember Quadzilla makes a good product. Now yes I dont have the coolness factor of a color screen like the CTS etc that can run a gps, load pictures blah blah blah but thats what my HTC EVO 3D is for lol.

I decided on the Quad because of great power gains, plenty of warning parameters you can set. Custom tuning make your own tunes to your needs (be careful) Then the on the fly adjustments, data logging, multiple guages/readings, super easy updates. Not to mention did i say great power gains Level 10 160hp

Hope that helps. They also make a Xillarator 1 and 2 that are pretty good simple programmers that allow a reading of one thing and on the fly adjustments but no where near the cabilbities of a Adrenaline with pulse. Also they have come out now were you can use your iphone etc and android device to power everything and use as a monitor.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #29

Smitty
V6 Member

Thanks for the info...I am sure I will be getting back with you on your quad.

Decided to do a little looking into all available. So far I have found Quad, Edge, Banks, Bully Dog, H&S, TST (up to 06). Going to have to start a spread sheet keep track of everything...lol

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #30

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
I would say count Banks out of the game IMO very little amount of hp gains and way too restrictive the warnings are very annoying and set too low. Plus for the price you can get a more advanced programmer. Havent heard too much on the H&S and TST.