Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Lifted
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #21
Onk
Viper Member

Garage
my current tires are 16.5 inches wide, and they are on a 12" rim. The 38's im looking at are going to go on a 12" rim (OR a 10" rim if I find one I like)

I, personally, wouldnt go anything smaller than a 20x10. That will give you a nice flat tire and it wont balloon up because if the rim being so narrow. With the bigger tires (anything 37"+ I wouldnt even consider a 9" width. I would stick to a minimum of 10" or a 12/14" even.
Onk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

Name: Michael
I found the rims I want in 20 x 10. I can get them in 24 x 11, but then I have a problem finding my tires for 24". Basically, I should be good to go with the 20 x 10 rims and the Mickey Thompson tire size I mentioned? Tires are going to be my next purchase. Probably in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to do all the most expensive stuff first, and hopefully have everything associated with the lift done by August.
WarEagleFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

I'm a little curious about the body lift. What difference does it make if my truck is 2wd or 4wd? I understand if it was for suspension, but it doesn't make sense for a body lift. I've been searching around online, and I'm having trouble finding a body lift. It's hard finding Mega Cab stuff. Can't I just search for a 2500 body lift regardless if it's 2wd or 4wd? That's how I searched for my rims.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #24
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

I talked to Fabtech's tech department today, and they confirmed that they do not make a lift kit for my truck. Looks like the CST kit I just received is the only kit out there for a 2006 2WD Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1500. Next on the purchase list is my tires. Hopefully I can buy them at the end of May. Out of curiosity, what range does everyone think I'm looking at for install? I haven't priced anyone yet since that's a few months away. I'm going to be having one shop do everything which includes suspension lift, body lift, shocks, steering stabilizer, and the tires and wheels. Everything I'm taking them will be straight out of the box. I guesstimated that install will be around $1,500. Am I close on my guess?

I've got an ex-mechanic that works with me, but has never done an independent suspension lift. My lift kit didn't come with new coil springs. He said I should be ok as the stock springs will work with my lift. Should I find some better quality springs though? Even if stock is "ok", I'd rather have quality over saving a few bucks.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Your mechanic is right...your kit comes with 3.5 inch lift spindles and 2" spacers (3" spacers for the 2500 and up Mega Cabs) (according to the CST site) So, you are only changing the geometry of the suspension with the spacers and only the shocks need to be changed...lift or drop spindles never change the geometry of the suspension and nothing else needs to be changed if you were only using them.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Originally Posted by WarEagleFanatic View Post
I'm a little curious about the body lift. What difference does it make if my truck is 2wd or 4wd? I understand if it was for suspension, but it doesn't make sense for a body lift. I've been searching around online, and I'm having trouble finding a body lift. It's hard finding Mega Cab stuff. Can't I just search for a 2500 body lift regardless if it's 2wd or 4wd? That's how I searched for my rims.

I see that Performance Lifts offers a Mega Cab 1500 capable 3" body lift kit, but it is, like you mention for 4WD models only. Link below:

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/cart/PER60183.html

What I suggest is actually calling them and asking them if they have one for the 2WD...their number is:

Sales & Technical Assistance - (949) 629-3017
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

Performance Lifts is the site I looked at earlier that stated on their site that their Fabtech lift worked on all cab models. I called Fabtech this morning and they said their lifts are only for 4WD. The CST lift looks like my only option, and I just received their 6.5" lift today. I called Fabtech after I received the CST lift just to be certain because I wanted to go Fabtech. I'm buying a 3500 Mega Cab in about 5 years so I'll be able to have more options then since I'll make sure it's 4WD. I'm taking all the components to work tomorrow so my co-worker/ex-mechanic can look over them and make sure I'm good to go. He doesn't have any experience with lifts on my truck, but he knows enough to tell me if it'll work or not.

I joined here because of the responses everyone's been providing. Everyone has been very insightful. To say it's been a challenge finding everything to lift my truck is a major understatement. I'd rather come here for suggestions from enthusiasts than a dealer. You guys may not have all the answers, but I'll trust you guys more than a salesman. That's not to put down a salesman, but the fact that everyone here has no gain in what I buy makes me feel better about recommendations.

I'm going down to Tampa Labor Day weekend, and 'm really pushing hard to get the lift completed by then so I can drive my truck down instead of flying. It'll be close, but I think I can pull it off.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #28
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Mike, don't forget that with that CST lift you bought, you're only going to clear a 33" tire...you can get a 35 in there with some bumper trimming.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

I wasn't aware that 33" was the max with my lift. I thought 37" was the max which is why I figured the body lift would help me squeeze my 38" tires on. I was hoping that with the 6.5" suspension lift and a 3" body lift I could avoid any bumper mods. I really appreciate the heads up! I'm not dropping below 38" tires. Getting my bumper trimmed, is that an expensive mod?

I tried calling the tech number you provided, but they're only M-F. I'll call them Monday morning. Thanks!

Last edited by WarEagleFanatic; 04-28-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
No, it's not expensive to trim the bumper. All depends on how it's done that decides the cost. Kevin's bumper is notched too.