Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 AM   #21

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
I've been planning this install for about 6 months and I'm just taking it easy. We will see how well I have done when it's fired up and running. My plan A is to run it on the SC, PSC1 and high idle mod. If that fails, then onto plan B which will be a combination of a B&G flash and PSC1. The B&G flash can raise the idle and adjust rev and speed limiter. So we will see shortly.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #22

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

I wasted more than half a day going to the local dealer. The parts guy "Bobby" said to expect my retainer around 10:30 and I was there and guess what? yeah, no retainer. He gets all busy with his computer and tells me well they show they have 32 of them in stock. I told him, I would be happier if it showed they had 30 of them and I had two in my hand. He goes wow we might not have them until Monday, today being Friday and all. Being the smooth talker that I am, I proceeded tell him what I thought of the dealership. He stands there blinking at me and says careful, I might take that personally. I told him you really should since he was probably the one responsible for not ordering the part. I was already starting to burn when I walked in and the Service Manager was busy lying to another customer trying to cover his ass. About a month ago I asked him if a 03 replacement PCM would need to be reflashed to be used. He said, I don't know. Then proceeded to tell me why it would need to be reflashed. I told him he should have stuck with his first answer as he clearly didn't know. This is the same Manger who wouldn't do anything for me last year after they locked my PCM during a reflash attempt which they charged me for. Every year I give them a try and every year they fail. I can only blame myself. Rant over....

Well, I let this stress me out more than i should so went out not really feeling like I wanted to work on it. But cleaned up the balancer and put it under a heat lamp. The engine is pretty cool, so i let the balancer soak up some heat for almost an hour. Lubed up the shaft. Tossed the balancer on the shaft and smacked it a couple of times and screwed it home. (sounds like a date) Emailed Art earlier to order two more retainers, made a followup call and was told Art was off. So I'm jammed until next week. I'll check with the dickhead dealer in the morning but have no faith in them.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Last edited by Redtruck-VA; 05-13-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM   #23

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Ok, engine guru's here is an observation and question. The 6.1 springs are shorter than the 5.7 03 springs. I didn't measure them but the 6.1 look to be a little thicker coil than the 5.7. If I had the springs sitting in front of me just looking at them i would pick the 5.7 as the spring to use for a cam with .550+ lift. So are we truely installing the right spring? All I've heard from the forums has been the 6.1 is the best available spring. Just seemed a little strange. I also retained the cups that came with the 6.1 springs. I don't have a spring tester to compare the installed height pressure, but would be very curious as to what they are. Anyone have any information?

Old 05-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #24

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Went to the dealer and sure enough the parts guy can't find my parts. Fuck them. Bought a construction magnet used to pickup nails on job sites. Searched everything, no retainer. Jacked Red up again and took the heat wrap off of the starter motor and looked high and low. No retainer. Rewrapped the starter motor and insulated some more wires. Put the passenger side valve cover on. Shot some WD-40 into the cylinders. Will have to wait until Monday to talk to Art. If that's a fail I'll check the pick and pull and see if I can find a head to strip. OBTW, the fuel rails are 3/4" in diameter. So will order some cool tubing to see if that'll deflect some heat. Hopefully all the little things will add up.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #25

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
This is the kind of thing that makes me wish I were closer, it would be a blast to be able to hang and bs while doing this shit. Just like Tim Taylor arh arh arh

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #26

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

arh arh arh more power, he's the man.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #27

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Lol, this is becoming a tip of the day. When you pull the alternater there are threaded bosses that the bolts screw into to hold the sucker in place. Back the bolts out about a 1/4" and then using a drift pin punch or a extension smack the heads of the two bolts. This will drive the bosses back a little, giving some clearance on the brackets. Then just lift the alternater off the brackets. No fuss, no strain.The AC pump using a similar setup like the old chevy alternater with a split steel sleeve to take up any play. I got one place I can check tomorrow for the retainer, but doubt if he'll have it. Hiopefully Art will get me one by Weds. The price of the retainer is $.48 cents and has me jammed for a week. Just the way things go sometimes. I got about three hours work left on Red to finnish. Now I'm going to have a drink or three.

Last edited by Redtruck-VA; 05-15-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:54 PM   #28

Is this what you need?

ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #29

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Originally Posted by ORT View Post
Is this what you need?

Jason, that is what I need. Is that a spare?

Old 05-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #30

Yes, I had it laying in my cam swap box. Send me your address and I will put it out in tomorrow's mail for you.
ORT is offline   Reply With Quote