Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > LX Forum > Magnum
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #1

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Default OMG: Spark plugs gapped at 60 thousand.
I've been on here alot bragging about buying BLUE, my 05 Magnum R/T having over 130,000 miles. Of course buying this car used and the previouse owner just thinking of this as a CAR and NOT taking care of it like I would have, I have really done a lot to this car, probably buffed & waxed more than a dozen times as the outside was a real mess... tons of scratches etc and the inside was unbelieveable... the guy even carried bails of straw inside of this car so I really had my work cut out for me.... but all in all it's been FUN to play with daily and I must admit it has really been running good.

As far as things wrong with it; he did tell me it needed front end work (common for these LX cars with some mileage on them), and I had the front end rebuilt, tie rods, tension struts and control arms at a cost of approx $500. I gave the 22" black wheels to Tee for her everday driver CHANCE and replaced with some extra wheels I had from my SRT and NOW I also have some Challenger 20" SRT rims for it.

Of course I did regular maintenance, i.e. oil changes, changed out the stock air filter to a K & N CAI, cleaned and refreshed the cabin filter etc.

NOW, I know according to the maintenance manual you are supposed to change the spark plugs at every 30,000 miles and having as many of these that I do, I'm just NOT doing that. I do however, log everything, gas fill ups, oil changes, rotating tires, into a book I keep in EVERY car and watching the gas mileage slowing starting to drop..... figured it was about time to change the plugs out as I have NO idea when the previous owner did this.

As I pulled them out the gap looked pretty wide to me and started checking the gap on each plug and low and behold they were all gapped at .060"..... WOW, that was shock. I checked the gap on all the new plugs to insure they were at .045 and they were. After I got done I took the car for a short ride and WOW....First thing I noticed is how much smoother it idleded and WHAT AN INCREDIBLE DIFFERENCE and I thought it ran good before. Felt like I added another 50 horsepower. Since I just did this a couple of days ago while it was overcast out I haven't drove it too much but have already seen my gas mileage increase at least 3 MPG!

(And to think I had done a burnout with this one just a couple weeks ago.... Hmmmmm, wonder how it will do NOW ~ LOL~)

And BLUE is really looking GREAT NOW!!!

Last edited by NOTPAID4; 08-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.
NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #2

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
With a gap like that I would say it never had it's plug changed. With that said I love these modern high voltage ignitions, they'll throw a spark across anything!

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

LB3711
Turbo Member

Name: Matt
Send a message via AIM to LB3711 Send a message via MSN to LB3711 Send a message via Yahoo to LB3711
thats a nice "mod" LOL

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi Big Horn 4x4 -- Has Mods
LB3711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #4

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
well that is a "good" find lol. i am still putting of changing my plugs and wires i have a ton of excuses you want to hear them?

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Lol I got my guy to change my plugs and wires, I aint touching em! He owned his own repair shop and retired and brought the whole shop home with him lift an all, and it still took him two hours!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #6

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
I guess I'm going to be the odd duck here, I didn't think changing the plugs is that big of a deal. With Red's drop and a cinder block to stand on I put a thick towel over the front cross member and find it reasonably comfortable to reach everything. I'm old and fat, and it takes me about two hours. Maybe use two towels if you aren't fat and only one hand if you're not that old. still should be around two hours unless alcohol is involved. Good luck...

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
Two hours of your time is better than the rate the dealership will give you to change them. Way to go Jim. Blue must be pretty close to being ready for your trip to Georgia.

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Name: Colton
Garage
The 3 MPG gain must have been nice!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
I need to change the plugs on my truck here soon...I too do not know when they were changed last...
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #10

Fla 66 cuda
Cummins Member

Name: Lou
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla 66 cuda
My plugs are no problem in my ram [oh poo] sorry my cuda, reminds me gotta check them had a miss the last time we took her out but cleared up on the way home.

1966 barracuda 273 auto
2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe
All housed at the redneck mansion.

USAF Fighter Aircraft Mechanic 1979-1989

Fla 66 cuda is offline   Reply With Quote