Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Interior & Exterior
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
Default possible electrical issue....
odd for me as im very elecrically inclined....lol....

so i jump in the truck this morn and my dome/puddle lights arent on, i flick the switch to make sure my switch wasnt all the way off, and nothing....
so after work today i checked the fuses, all of them and 18 would be labelled interior illumination, all good... my map lights work, hmmmm, so i trace the wires from dome to my t-tap where i tapped in so when i open my doors the puddle lights come on, which is behind the a-pillar, everything is secure, but no power to the t....i know my test light is grounded good as i checked another power source with it grounded in the same place, grounds on puddle lights are tight and look good, dome light bulb tested in working order, i wish i had brought my multimeter home with me from work.....does anyone have any idea? im at a stand still which is really weird for me.....where is the door plunger that tells the interior lights to come on... or the sensor that does when i hit my fob....

Old 07-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
my best guess would be a contact is not closing to allow power (12vdc+ leg) to pass thru the contact to the puddle lights. this contact could be your door plunger, so i think you're on the right track...but i'm not sure where the plunger is located exactly
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #3

old man
V6 Member

Name: Dennis
Garage
i think the switch is on the latch inside the door

Old 07-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Originally Posted by old man View Post
i think the switch is on the latch inside the door
Not sure how it is mechanically operated, but the wire does go to the latch mechanism.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #5

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Garage
I'll have to look into this latch deal, and check my wiring going from my door inward, cause my window switch gliched today too...thanks guys

Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
if your window switch messed up too, then I would definitely start with the travel wiring (truck body to door). good luck bud.
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #7

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Garage
it just messed up for a second, i just flicked it twice and worked fine...im gonna just have to remove panels and dig...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Hope you find out what causing that. Good luck.

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #9

reefguy89
Newb

Name: joe
The dome lamp is controlled by the instrument cluster which provides power at all times, regardless of the ignition switch position The ground circuit for the lamp is switched through the integral dome lamp switch or through the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster

The dome lamp lens and bulb are available for service replacement If either of the lamp switch or bulb holders is faulty or damaged, the dome lamp assembly must be replaced

For service of the dome lamp bulb, refer to the appropriate wiring information.

The dome lamp is activated by the door ajar switches via the instrument cluster. When all of the doors are closed, the lamp can be activated by depressing the lens. When any door is open, depressing the lamp lense to activate the lamp switch will not turn the lamps off

The instrument cluster monitors the door ajar switches When a door is open the instrument cluster grounds the low side drivers to turn on the lamp Upon closing all doors, the instrument cluster initiates a 30 second timer If any of the doors are opened during the "time out" cycle, the instrument cluster will reset the timer until all doors are closed The instrument cluster will failed to off when the doors are closed and the ignition is turned ON, the time out expires or the power locks are activated.

Here is the location of the door switches:

reefguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Joe, great information.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote