Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Lifted
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

Name: Michael
Default New here...reqs?
I’m getting ready to lift my truck. I used to be the type to just level it and put some 24” rims on and be done with it, but then I saw a picture of Ramstrat’s truck. To me, that’s what a truck is supposed to look like. Everything looks very proportional. So now I’ve decided to get mine up that high. I’m in somewhat of a bind though. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to lifting a truck. I know a lot of people here feel 2WD down, 4WD up. My truck will be paid off in a few months so trading it in isn’t happening. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 1500 2WD. Finding lift kits is a little tough. A lot of sites won’t let you specify Mega Cab. Do I need to be searching for a kit for a 2500 instead? I’d like to be able to put 40” tires on it, safely. I’m guessing I will need a body lift too. I’ve read the gears chart and know I’ll need to get 4.56 gears put in. Can I go ahead and lift it without the gears for now, or will I do major damage? I know the gears will help with MPG, but I don’t think anyone with a Ram is overly concerned about MPG or we wouldn’t be driving a Ram in the first place. My truck will never be going off road. I just love the way a lifted truck looks. Any suggestions to help me find the right lift and associated parts? It's pretty much stock now except for exhaust and CAI. Thanks for any help!
WarEagleFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Ms.MagnumSLT
R/T Member

Name: Spring
Garage
Welcome to SEM! Im sure Kevin will chime in and give you some help on this.I agree the look of a lifted 2wd is pretty awesome.

05'Ram 1500 QC window Vents Cherry Bomb exhaust In DashDVD/mp3player
Ram Bedliner Chrome Doorhandles Tinted Windows
Ram head light up tow hitch cover,Billet Grille, Billet locking gas door 2" Ground Force Drop,Westin Bed Caps

Ms.MagnumSLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
Welcome to SEM! I'm sure some of us can provide you with some input to help you out with lifting your truck. To help get you started, I will offer the following.

I believe I have read that the 1500 MC's are set on a 2500 frame. However, I would suggest you research and confirm before you order any parts and/or a lift kit. I would suggest you search the Internet and I would highly recommend you call a couple of the lift manufacturers you're interested in and discuss this directly.

I am sure you will need to do a body left in addition to a suspension lift. Kevin's (RamStrat) truck has a FabTech 6" lift and a 3" body lift, I believe. And he is 2WD also. I'm sure he will chime in soon and provide additional input.

I didn't check out your profile yet but if you are in the Tampa, FL area (judging by your username I assume you're in AL though) we can recommend a good shop that specializes in lifting trucks, among other things.

Again, welcome to SEM! And please introduce yourself and your truck (pics please!) in the 'Introduction' section when you get a chance.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jch0hm
Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

I found a 6.5" suspension lift this morning by CST. I've been searching around a few months, and I think that's as good as it's going to get for me without having to get a custom lift. I went ahead and ordered it. I got free shipping and it was a good overall price. The 1500 Mega Cab is on a 2500 frame. I'm going to go month by month ordering parts. Now I've got to figure out proper sizing for wheels and tires. I'd still like for suggestions to role in that could help with handling and things of that nature.

I used to live in Alabama. Unfortunately, I had to move to PA because of work. Within a few years, I will be moving to Florida. Tampa's always been where I want to live. I make a few trips there every year.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
WarEagleFanatic
Newb

First time adding an attachment so hopefully it works. It's a pic of before I got my exhaust installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (89.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Welcome to the club...my uncle also has a 1500 Mega Cab!
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Welcome!

Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #8

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Does yours have a 3.73 rear gear or 4.10's? If it has 4.10's, I wouldn't worry about regearing.

Last edited by SmokedRam; 04-18-2012 at 04:01 PM.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
^ wouldn't worry?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?koati2
Sent from Lee's iPhone4 using Tapatalk
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote