Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #1

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
Default Wheel bearings
So today to my surprise I find my ds wheel bearing is shot, so I need to replace them. I have found prices from 120 ea to 150 a pair w/ lifetime warranty, my question is if I have 4wheel abs or rear wheel abs or what cause it really matters....it is what it is and if I'm lowering I might as well have new ones, I'm gonna do my ball joints too when I lower it so 1 alignment is done...and I'm sue shocks are in there too somewhere as they are factory lol...Damn suspension will be redone in a short few months....ugh......I can already feel the heat, sweat, and empty wallet.....
Sent from my badass EVO on TapaTalk....

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Im right there with ya I think my front shocks are wore out

Old 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
that blows
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Easiest way to find out is crawl under there and see if you have the harness going to each wheel bearing up front...if you do, BAM, 4WABS...if you dont 2WABS...is there a little sticker in your glove box with the gear ratio and stuff on it? It might say on there.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #5

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Jay, the wheel bearing replacement doesn't require re-alignment. Tie-rod ends, ball joints and the drop will require alignment. Often folks will adjust the drop after the initial drop is done. If you are certain with what you want you might go ahead and do both before the alignment is done. Spindles with 6-7 inch of spring cut is typical. Good luck.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #6

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Originally Posted by AWE Daniel View Post
Im right there with ya I think my front shocks are wore out
Just replaced all 4 this weekend. Went with the Bilsteins.

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
Greg, thanks and I'm aware of such, ill replace wheel bearings ASAP when I do my drop ill do ball joints that way its 1 alignment instead of doing them right now, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, figuratively. Shocks will most likely be done too around drop time...

Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #8

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Originally Posted by Jusjay727 View Post
Greg, thanks and I'm aware of such, ill replace wheel bearings ASAP when I do my drop ill do ball joints that way its 1 alignment instead of doing them right now, kill 2 birds with 1 stone, figuratively. Shocks will most likely be done too around drop time...

That's why I mention going ahead and cutting the coils at the same time. And of course you know the spindle kit uses stock front shocks. The rear can also use the stock shock with the extensions, but I prefer not using the extensions. So you have to hunt around for the right shock. I used the Monroe online spec sheet to look them up.
I am particularly watchful of my front bearing as the clearance on the lower ball joint nut and the 17" wheels is very close. Good luck, you are going to like it dropped.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote