Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 07-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #21

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
So getting a used edge would be a good way to go?
Yes unless you want the latest and newest thing out there. I see lots of Edge Juice with Attitude used on Cumminsforum going for 400-500. The new edge programmers have color screen display a small one and a big one I think Called CTS If you dont care for that type of thing a used model is fine. IMHO new programmers and way over priced.

Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
You would need to do some research to see what you are getting for that specific model. I would assume that a used Edge from 2010 may have better goodies than a 2008 model. You may be able to go to the Edge web site and do some research there.

Would also need to do some research as to what is involved in installing the Edge. I do believe you will need to get a EGT probe that will need to be installed into the exhaust manifold. Normally the probe is extra and may not come with the Edge set. Will need to make sure you get all the cables etc. Does the Edge have the latest software, can you upgrade form Edge if need be?

I have the Edge Insight (just the monitor; for gauges) and I had to order the probe separate. you have to drill and tap the probe into the manifold.

Not a discouragement from buying used. Just make sure you know what you are getting!
Ramthis, I would make a strong suggestion since it sounds like your new to the diesel stuff. Find a local diesel performance shop and see what they say. Ask questions and ask for comparisions. Any good shop will take care of you and do it right.

I will also say start saving up for a tranny build project once you get the programmer. I am currently doing the same.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #22

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Name: Colton
Garage
Ok thanks Lee, I know that dogging it all the time will potentially screw things up. The thing my dad wants most out of it is fuel mileage. So what I'm thinking ia getting the Edge since it's on the fly, that way if it's set for fuel mileage cruising down the road, then some dude in a ford comes up beside us thinking he's all bad, just set it to 5 and blow his doors off I wonder if there's a way I could get the egt probe off of ebay or something

Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #23

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by ramthis9501 View Post
Ok thanks Lee, I know that dogging it all the time will potentially screw things up. The thing my dad wants most out of it is fuel mileage. So what I'm thinking ia getting the Edge since it's on the fly, that way if it's set for fuel mileage cruising down the road, then some dude in a ford comes up beside us thinking he's all bad, just set it to 5 and blow his doors off I wonder if there's a way I could get the egt probe off of ebay or something
When I was considering getting an edge I was told I had to buy the probe from edge. Maybe an online diesel shop will sell them like XDP or throughbread diesel.

And my Quadzilla goes to level 10 with 160hp gains