Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Originally Posted by car_enthusiast63 View Post
wait if thats condensation in there wouldnt that eventually cause harm to the oil and therefore the motor? I dont know much about this subject but would like to learn all i can about motors
The most damaging thing to engine oil is heat cycles. Short trips where the engine is not kept at operating temp for an extended amount of time KILLS engine oils. It can also be harmful to exhaust components as condensation also builds there and will corrode exhaust components from the inside out.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #12

car_enthusiast63
V6 Member

Name: Jordan
Wow I did not know that to be honest, learn something new everyday, Thank You Adam

Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Now, just gotta figure out why the engine in not coming to temp...his drive should be MORE than enough in the Florida climate to reach 160 degrees, which is where oils are tested and considered operating temp. How high does the temp gauge get while he is driving? Is the thermostat sticking open, not causing the engine to reach temp?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #14

car_enthusiast63
V6 Member

Yea thats true now to find whats causing the problem in his truck.

Would that condensation be caused if its a cold start and stop only? or does this also happen when the oil and all the components are at operating temp and you stop and start the engine frequently?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #15

car_enthusiast63
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AWE Daniel View Post
I get a really tiny amount of that on the underside of the oil cap when I change my oil, really small amount, but that right there is a shitload, you should probably get a new oil cap and see if that helps.
Yea if the oil cap seal is bad wouldnt that cause moisture to get in causing the residue?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Originally Posted by car_enthusiast63 View Post
Yea if the oil cap seal is bad wouldnt that cause moisture to get in causing the residue?
It could very well cause the problem too. It could be just on the oil fill provision only. I would pull a valve cover and see how it looks...it the head is covered in milkshake I would suspect something more than severe service heat cycles causing the milkshake.

Last edited by SmokedRam; 02-22-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #17

car_enthusiast63
V6 Member

well for his sake I hope its not a big problem

Old 02-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #18

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
guys this seems to happen to alot of these trucks, but there isnt any common factors its just luck of the draw, his is alot worse than most i have seen...what kind of oil are you using preston? who does the changes? if he is 5 miles up the road theres no way his truck is heating to a good operating temp, i have a 180 stat and my truck dont reach that til after i drop my kid off and thats 10-15 mins away i hope in start and go, when i get there my stat is open...thats a good temp, think if he does this 5 days a week, but he also drives 30 mins to school, that should counter act and burn off any moisture, most guys that have had this issue have only found it in the cap or neck area...how many miles preston? might be a good idea to switch to full syn if you havent...

Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #19

RamSport97
V6 Member

Name: Patrick
Send a message via AIM to RamSport97 Send a message via Yahoo to RamSport97
It looked like that when he first brought it home from Ocala before he even did an oil change. He is using Valvoline Syn Power fully synthetic and a purolator gold filter. I assumed it was condensation as well and was wondering if one of his valve cover breather hoses might be kinked causing condensation build up, or something with the PCV valve not opening and shutting at the correct times.

Jay or Kevin- Is there a grommet toward the rear of the engine on the valve covers where either a breather hose is connected or PCV?

Save the wave!

RamSport97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #20

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
What motor is that?