Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > DIY Articles
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 03-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #1

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Default Cleaning the HEMI Throttle Body
Its been about 15K miles since I cleaned my throttle body so I decided to do it again and see what it looked like.

First off you need to take off the "HEMI Hat", which you do by disconnecting the IAT wiring harness, and then there are two 10mm bolts, one on the front left, and one towards the back right. After that, you can pull it out and fold it over to the side so you can see your throttle body and have clear access to it. (Sorry I didnt take pics for this step, but it is so easy to do you wont need them.)

Next there are four bolts holding the throttle body in, just take a ratchet, or like I did a racheting screw driver with the appropriate socket and loosen those up. They dont have to come off the throttle body, the big orange spacer holds them in, if you are afraid of loosing them you could wiggle them out, but there is no need really. Then just disconnect the wiring harness and pop the throttle body right out.

Now turn it around and see all the carbon buildup on the back? Thats what we will be taking off. This is what mine looked like after 15K miles.

The front (doesnt look dirty does it?):

So get yourself so non-chlorinated brake parts cleaner (supertech brand at walmart is what I use). And hose the back side down, most of it will come right off just with this step. Do the same for the front side, and take care not to get any fluid on the wiring connector.

This is what mine looked like after I blasted it, the carbon just melted right off.

Now you are going to need to open up the valve with you hand, and get a clean rag in there and wipe off any remaining residue, it should be loose enough to come right off, if not, blast it with some more cleaner.

This is what the back of mine looked like when I was finished, squeeky clean.

Now take your rag, soak it in some cleaner, and wipe out as much buildup as you can reach inside the intake just to clean that up a little, and bolt everything back up, make sure the hemi hat is snug back on the throttle body, and plug up the wiring harnesses.

Now since we opened the valve by hand in cleaning it, it probably threw off the Idle sensor, at least it does that to me when I do this. So to calibrate it, all you need to do is have the key in the ignition and turn it to run, and wait 10 seconds. The computer re-learns the position of the plate, and you should be good to go!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #2

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
Great write up and pictures Daniel; should be about the same procedure with our 5.7L Hemi Magnums! I gotta do this when I get a minute!

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

This thread reminded me that it is about time to clean my tb again. Nice write up.
ORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
sweet write up, i was surprised at how well mine had stayed clean when i installed the vararam today

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Daniel, you should run a can of Berrymans B12 Chemtool through your gas tank every oil change...I bet you wont see it that varnished up again after 15K miles...
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
concussion
Newb

Name: Burleson
a catch can from Billet Technology will stop the oil vapor from returning through the intake manifold.
concussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

AWE Daniel

Originally Posted by 96MagnumRam View Post
Daniel, you should run a can of Berrymans B12 Chemtool through your gas tank every oil change...I bet you wont see it that varnished up again after 15K miles...
Or just get the EGR delete, I mean emissions? in FL? Who cares about em? lolz

Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #8

AWE Daniel

Originally Posted by concussion View Post
a catch can from Billet Technology will stop the oil vapor from returning through the intake manifold.
Yeah I was thinking about getting one, but there are ones on ebay for about half of that price, same thing too. I did order an emblem from them though.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
Originally Posted by AWE Daniel View Post
Or just get the EGR delete, I mean emissions? in FL? Who cares about em? lolz

Yeah, but if I recall correctly, deleting the EGR can raise combustion chamber temps and cause detonation.

I may be wrong though.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #10

AWE Daniel

Not from what I have heard, its only on there for emissions, other than that it serves no purpose. Hell the 03 Hemis didnt even have em!