Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Engine & Performance
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
Default 6.1 dual coil ignition mod
This was an unexpected buy the other night, couldn't pass it up. Anyway I recieved it today and it looks like it'll be the next mod to get done. I also have headers that need installed but I want to do them on a lift. I spoke to the guy at a shop I have had some work done last year and he's going to let me come in the following weekend while the shop is closed and use their lift. Way cool dude. So anyway I'm about to dump the ugly wires. This should improve the engine looks and can't help but to improve the ignition some. I'm hoping this will prevent the "miss-fire" codes that pop up with the bigger cams.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #2

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Got to running late today so didn't start until 2pm. passenger side is a piece of cake, but as we all know the drivers side is a bitch. I took my time aand thought it went back together well. Took it for a test ride and I have a very slight oil leak far back drivers side corner. I don't have any wires pinched, so hoping I can tighten it a little, if not I'll take it back off again. A more seious problem is I have dead cylinder. But hey, that's what it is all about. If it was easy, everybody would have a top gun...

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Old 04-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Trupiano
Newb

Name: Steven Trupiano
Wow Greg your really cranking out some in-depth mods on Red! Nicely done man!, I'm in total awe! I absolutely love everything you do to your truck because they're unique, meticulously done, and each one has alot of meaning/reasoning behind it!

We are not worthy!

RED ROCKET Flame Red Crew Cab Hemi 4X4 Sport - 306HP/331TQ
Exterior: Black Grill l Debadged l Tint l Fukken Lights INWK
Interior: Radar Blenmount/Hardwire l TomTom Hardwire l
Performance: 14' Magnaflow l Sonnax Line Booster l Resonator Delete l

Trupiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #4

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Thanks Trup, you know I'm straight don't you??

lol

Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Trupiano
Newb

Name: Steven Trupiano
Was that a little over the top? Sorry bro, just trying to give ya some "props"

RED ROCKET Flame Red Crew Cab Hemi 4X4 Sport - 306HP/331TQ
Exterior: Black Grill l Debadged l Tint l Fukken Lights INWK
Interior: Radar Blenmount/Hardwire l TomTom Hardwire l
Performance: 14' Magnaflow l Sonnax Line Booster l Resonator Delete l

Trupiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

AF_Hemi
Newb

Name: Aaron
Send a message via Yahoo to AF_Hemi
how bout some pics oh "King of the 03's"

KRC 210 cam on 110lsa, custom tune with DSP, AI gauge, 6" Fabtech , 35" Trail Grapps around 18" Procomps. 4.56 gears, Auburn LSD, Pacesetter LTs, magnaflow. K/N CAI, efan, TMR delete, all sorts of blacked out, tow mirrors, 3000w sounds w/ homemade custom box

2003 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi (slightly modded)
2012 Mustang GT/CS

... for His glory
AF_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

AWE Daniel
Florida Chapter Vice President

Name: Daniel
Originally Posted by Redtruck-VA View Post
Thanks Trup, you know I'm straight don't you??

lol
Lol man love

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #8

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Originally Posted by AF_Hemi View Post
how bout some pics oh "King of the 03's"
Old Red looks the same as last year. I posted pictures of the Aeon Spring install earlier. The LP sensor is using the AeroForce gauge from last year. I posted pictures of the Window Switch mounted on the end of the dash. I'll get some pictures up on the 6.1 install when I get that sorted out. I left my good camera with my Grand Daughter and am trying to master my new phone camera and have finally figured out how to transfer pictures via Bluetooth to my new laptop, All my technology has been upgraded and is kicking my butt. Being old and not too savy about this new stuff has been a challenge. None of the mods are impressive to look at, so if there are specific questions about any of the mods I will certainly share what I know.

Trup I really appreciate your support, I was was just having some fun. It's nice to have a pat on the back once in a while.
Thanks,

Last edited by Redtruck-VA; 04-15-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Update,
Pulled the driverside valve cover and sure enough had pulled the corner gasket loose. Carefully put it back. Hint, if you get back in place and lift it a little and drop it back on the head and it makes a hollow thunk noise then you still have the gasket in place. if it is adull noise, look it over as the gasket has slipped. Tighten it up solid and started looking for the dead cylinder. I moved the coils around on the drivers side when I put it together and there was no difference. Started pulling coil plugs and it was the first one I pulled ie the front passenger side. This was the last one I wired up and it had a cold solder joint. Cleaned it up and it runs great. Anytime I can make something simpler I like it, besides I don't think I could every wire up the original cross fire setup and get it right.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #10

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
sweet mod greg you gotta post up pics. how in depth was it? time, money. i need to change plugs and wires and maybe able to kill 2 birds

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote