Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Mopar Models > Dodge Ram Forum > 3RD Gen : 2002 - 2008 > General Discussions
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

Old 06-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Talking Passangers fall to the ground when getting in???
As some of you know there are issues with our stock A-pillars a.k.a oh shit bars, breaking while being grabbed on. Multiple lawsuits have happened because of this etc etc. Well on Saturday my brother in law broke my passenger side one and almost hit is head on the trucks door sill. Lucky for all of us he is quick on his feet lol

That being said. I came into work today and on my down time looked up another handle and bought it. I was surprised to see that Chrysler has addressed this issue somewhat.

Things I noticed. The plastic where the bolts go through is much thicker. The channel that the bolts drop down are also thicker and there is no slits in that channel anymore like the stock ones.

Part numbers I'm talking about are 1TE74TL2AA (list 31.00) and 1TE75TL2AA (list 33.00)

Just thought I'd share

FYI the A-pillar handles are not supposed to be used to help pull you up into the truck Which I knew but most passengers don't.

Here is the stock one:

Notice that split down the channel and the little thiner plastic where the screw goes through.

Here is the new improved superceeded one:

Notice no split down the channel and thicker plastic.

Oh and yeah the new one comes with some type of fabric on the inside as the stock one didn't.

Last edited by 03 Rammer; 06-21-2011 at 01:09 PM.
03 Rammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

OklaHemi
Vertically Challenged Super Mod

Name: Michael
Garage
Looks beefy..We call them oh shit bars here. That's what the passengers grab when they get skeered

OklaHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by OklaHemi View Post
Looks beefy..We call them oh shit bars here. That's what the passengers grab when they get skeered
Yep thats what we call them too. The correct name is an A-pillar grab handle lol

My wife grabs onto the oh shit bars all the time and she knows them by that name lol

Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
It must be a wife thing, cause mine grabs that handle all the time. I noticed this week that mine seems to be a little loose. Just thought it was getting old as I own a '98. I will probably invest in the new handle shortly. Thanks for the heads up or down. LOL

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

03 Rammer
SRT Member

Garage
Originally Posted by Storm Rider View Post
It must be a wife thing, cause mine grabs that handle all the time. I noticed this week that mine seems to be a little loose. Just thought it was getting old as I own a '98. I will probably invest in the new handle shortly. Thanks for the heads up or down. LOL
Nope its a defect of our truck. Lots of people break them. Skinny people fat people young people old people etc. There were lots of lawsuites from older couples using them to help get in the truck. You know like snowbirds lol But it was my brother in law 260lbs that broke it

Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
4XLGator
Viper Member

Name: Lee
I haven't noticed anything going on with mine, but it does sound sudden when it happens. And people are always grabbing mine to get in...mine's kinda high.

BTW, I call them a JOSH...Joe's "oh shit!" handle. Story time (ala Greg)....I named them JOSH after one event that happened in my truck back in my high school days. Me and a buddy of mine (named Joe) were riding around and goofing off one Saturday afternoon in the rain, there were several dirt roads and mudholes around here back then. I bailed off an incline sideways towards an old creek bed and he said "oh shit" when I did...we've been calling them that ever since.
4XLGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #7

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
That is a great story. Shows we grow up hopefully.

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #8
Onk
Viper Member

Garage
I need another new drivers side one...this will be the third one..lol

Ive been using the steering wheel to pull up into but I dont want to bend it...
Onk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #9
4XLGator
Viper Member

^ You need a damn 4' step ladder. LOL
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
4XLGator
Viper Member

Originally Posted by Storm Rider View Post
That is a great story. Shows we grow up hopefully.
Yes Paul, I definitely haven't bailed off an incline sideways into a creek bed in a truck in a long, long time. I have to pay for stuff I break these days...funny how that works. LOL