Sponsored Ads
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

<<<<<< Register to remove these ads >>>>>>

Go Back   South East Mopars Forum > Member's Area > The Lounge
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Preferred Vendor

The Lounge The place to hang out and discuss random things.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #1

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
Default Harbor Freight floor jack
Had a fairly new 3 ton floor jack I bought at Harbor Freight for $49 with coupon. While doing my shocks several weeks a go the jack jammed up on me and I could not turn the handle to release the pressure. Front end of the truck was up in the air and I could not get the jack to lower. Luckily I had a smaller jack that I used to raise the truck a tad to get the other jack out.

Never could get the old floor jack to unjam. Even though it is most likely out of warranty (have had about a year), thought I would stop by today and see if Harbor Freight would work with me on it. They could not do a even swap (90 day warranty). But if I bought a new jack and bought the 2 year replacement plan they would then swap the old for a new. So, got a new 3 ton Rapid pump floor jack for $20.00. Cost of the replacement plan.

And now have the replacement plan in case this one quits working. The guy sort of let me in on a little secret. Lot of shops/places will buy their stuff at HF, get the replacement plan and then every 2 years bring in the old and get new.

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #2

NOTPAID4
N.C. Chapter President

Name: Jim
Garage
I had an old floor jack that would NOT pump up; thought it just needed oil, so Tee bought me a new Sears jack and sit the old one in the back of the garage, about a year later found it, tried it, and it works great now...??? So I have two!

NOTPAID4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #3

Storm Rider
Super Moderator

Name: Paul
Garage
Harbor Freight has a lot of tools and things for pretty reasonable prices.

God, Country, & Corps
Storm Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #4

Fla 66 cuda
Cummins Member

Name: Lou
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Fla 66 cuda
I buy stuff there reasonable prices, but only stuff that i'm going to use once and awhile,makes no sence to me to pay big dollars for an item that will sit around for years till i need it again.Plus they do have a good replacement policy.

1966 barracuda 273 auto
2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
2013 Hyundai Elantra
2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Coupe
All housed at the redneck mansion.

USAF Fighter Aircraft Mechanic 1979-1989

Fla 66 cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

ramthis9501
SRT Member

Name: Colton
Garage
That's a good deal, my dad got a 3 ton jack at a pawn shop for $20. It's been a good one so far

Old 07-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

Smitty
V6 Member

Name: Ken
Send a message via AIM to Smitty Send a message via MSN to Smitty Send a message via Yahoo to Smitty
True, I will go there for simple things or something I will occasionally use. Also use the coupons, free screw drivers, led flash lights, all kinds of stuff.

2010 Jayco Eagle 285 5th Wheel
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM   #7

txbass06
V8 Member

Name: Mark
Garage
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
True, I will go there for simple things or something I will occasionally use. Also use the coupons, free screw drivers, led flash lights, all kinds of stuff.
That free stuff is good to stick in a bag for an emergency tool set or to stick in the wife's car

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

S&B Intake, Bull Bar w/ Hella 500 Black Magics, Blacked out Headlights and Grill, 6000k HID's, Leveled w/ 315-75-R16 Kumho AT's

txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #8

BAD HABIT
President - Admin

Name: Jay
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BAD HABIT
or use as the shit tools to beat on...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Redtruck-VA
Turbo Member

Name: PI_greg
I have a love hate relationship with Harbor Frieght. I love their prices and hate their quality. It is plainly junk. Low bid, over runs from china. Each year I buy 6-8 hammers amd cresent wrenches from them to take back to the Philippines with me. Labor is dirt cheap and I use local guys like day labors. I'l give the yard boy $3 a day, he'll work maybe 3-4 hours during the day. I give him a drink and a nab around 10am, lunch is on him (takes a nap) and a snack around 2pm. Nobody will die from over work. But the tradesmen have no tools. I have a carpenter/plumber that does maintence, he'll show up with nothing but his flip-flops. I'll give him a cheap hammer and he's golden. I also have a mechanic that maintain my van. This guy is pretty good and I give him a quality tool each year. It's a different world there and I can text these guys pretty much anytime and they'll come over and see me. last year I had a coolant leak from the intake manifold heater and I couldn't see what the problem was, so I jack the van up and took it apart to find the problem, my mechanic came over pissed off becuase I was working on the van and hadn't called him. Ran his ass off, and finally located a corroded elbow that was the problem. Fixed it and had him do a oil change to save face. It's a strange place with completely different set of values. And they have tools there that make HF look like snap-on.

PI_greg 2003 SXT-Hemi, SS/T rims, 275/60-17, AeroForce, w/wideband, 6.1 ignition, K&N-77 CAI, Fastman TB, eFan, 180 stat, TMR, HD OEM Trans Cooler, SC3865/PSC1, Dual window switch/ high idle mod, Edge, Crazy Spartan (112 lsa), 2800, DTT 4:10, TCI Floor Shifter, Shift lite, Pacesetter Ceramic LT's, Magna Spun Cats/SI/DO Muffler, Mcgaughys 2/4.5 spindle kit, Monroe shocks, Caltracs, Aeon springs bumps, SRT-10 gage pillar, air horn

Redtruck-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
SmokedRam
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to SmokedRam
damn, Greg pays for sweat labor...lol...Im just kidding Greg, I didnt think it was like that down there.
SmokedRam is offline   Reply With Quote